Sunday 11 January 2015

sun, moon, what's the difference?

I was watching Bill Bailey in his 2013 show Qualmpeddler on TV last night, and “learned” this.
Chantelle Houghton: “Alex [Reid] was laughing at me earlier because I thought the sun and the moon was the same thing. Turns out they’re not!”
Wow.  Just ... wow.  (I particularly liked his following rant on her “Turns out, they’re not!” follow up.)

I have heard anecdotally that some people refuse to believe the moon is visible during daytime, even when it’s pointed out to them. (Their logic appears to go, the moon isn’t visible during daytime, that thing you’re pointing at is, therefore it can’t be the moon.)  But I don’t think even they believe this because they think it’s the same thing as the sun!!

Apparently there was a question on a quiz for youngsters that asked “does the sun shine at night? Yes/no”.  I cannot work out what answer was wanted in this case.  Of course it doesn’t; that’s what night means!  Of course it does; it doesn’t switch off at night, it shines elsewhere.  Now we have a further possibility: of course it does; it’s called the moon!

An atypical example of the sun and moon together in the day sky


For all my social networking posts, see my Google+ page

No comments:

Post a Comment